I fell in love with both of these ideas that I pinned to my Valentine's Day board over on Pinterest and thought they looked easy and festive.
|From Remodelando la Casa (left) and Simply Designing (right)|
To make both, however, seemed a bit redundant. So what to do? Combine them!
I have more tabletop space available than wall space, so I decided to make them freestanding rather than on a plaque. If you would like to make these, you will need:
paper mache letters - these came from Hobby Lobby for about $2 a piece
white paint - I used cheap white tempra paint - and small sponge brush
1 sheet of decorative paper
Mod Podge or watered-down white glue
hot glue gun
2 straight pins and wire snips
I began by laying out my letters for painting. No need to prime, thank goodness. I hate that step.
Before starting, I put the "O" on the backside of the decorative paper, traced it with a pencil, cut it out and set it aside.
Using a cheapo sponge brush, I began painting the letters, one side at a time. Once that was dry (about 10 minutes), I applied another coat. When dry, I turned them over and painted two coats on those sides as well. I like the way they looked with a small amount of the brown still peeking through - kind of a rustic look - so I stopped with just 2 coats on each side. In all, my painting took less than 45 minutes, including drying time.
Once dry, I wiped some Mod Podge onto the "O" and applied the decorative paper (already cut to shape). I immediately brushed several more coats of Mod Podge over the decorative paper on the "O." I sat it aside for about 15 minutes to dry.
This is where the hot glue gun comes in: I glued the "L", "V", and "E" together in the order seen in the picture. I opted not to glue the "O" down so that we could turn it around and have all white letters if we wanted after Valentine's Day.
I still wanted the "O" to be secure, however, so I took the straight pins and snipped the end off of each that was not sharp. In my case, I snipped off the yellow balls. This gave me a sharp end and a blunt end on each pin.
|Yes, my wire snips are rusty. They were my grandfather's and way older than I am:)|
Holding one of the pins gently with the wire snips (so as to not cut through the pin this time), I stuck the sharp end into one corner of the "O" letter. Once I had made the hole with the sharp end, I took it out, turned it, and put the blunt end into the (now) existing hole. This allows you to have the sharp end available for sticking into the adjacent letter.
Taking the other pin, I did the same to the other corner. I then stuck the pins into the corner of the "L" and the top of the "E", being sure to line them up correctly as shown. Done!
The whole project took me less than 1 1/2 hours (including all the drying time) and only cost about $9 ($8 for the letters themselves). Very easy, quick, and decorative!